Friday, December 14, 2007

Grace Potter plays Jam, looks for long career

CITIZEN-TIMES.com
By Amy Jones
take5 correspondent
December 14, 2007 12:15 am

After four missed calls over four days and a spotty cell phone connection later, Grace Potter finally clears the air about what makes her and the Nocturnals the next band worth lining up for. More importantly she reminds us all that jamming as well as giving are good for the soul. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals play Warren Haynes Christmas Jam on Saturday night.

Question: For a heavy touring band like you guys, why spend time off at the holidays at a benefit concert far from home? (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals now hail from Waitsfield, Vt., where they still live on a big piece of land also called “Potterville” by those who know it).

Answer: When I found out this was happening it was the No. 1 thing I wanted to do at this time. It’s a special time of year. ... If you can give you should. Plus, it’s a chance for musicians to come together and say something. It’s more powerful than writing one song and slugging it around night after night. It’s one night, the only time it’s going to happen. I’m very happy to be a part of it.

Q: This is the Warren Haynes Christmas Jam, which sort of indicates that the guests on the bill are cherry-picked by him. How did you guys make such a strong connection?

A: Actually, we first met Warren years ago in New York City when he just happened to come into this restaurant where we were meeting with a label that was trying to sign us. He knew the label guy and came over and said “Hi” to us, but it was another year until we played with him. Of course, we’ve been on tour with him now, and I would come out and sing with his band, and each of those songs just had their own spirit.

Q: The band has certainly evolved over the last few years and quickly.

A: Yeah. We’re all young, and we have transitioned more than we expected to. We’re from Vermont, not New York City, and the amount of change we’ve been through is more than our share. The early stuff sounds like a jazz band working brunches. I feel like I should still be in college. Not the place, just my mind how it picks up everything.

Q: So do you think how you operate now, what you bring to the stage is something that is unique to young rock and roll?

A: Well I hope this feeling doesn’t fade away. I mean look at Gov’t Mule. I think what they’ve done on their new album is really a stretch. They have made incredible steps. It’s out of their comfort zone. I am just talking about this interest in channeling new personas, working and warping your sensibilities to what is going on around you.

Q: There are few articles where your sex appeal isn’t mentioned in conjunction with your music. What is your perspective on all of this?

A: If it’s there it’s natural, and I’m not going to be hot forever. Really, it’s a tool, and its something else to bring someone in with, get them to come around even if they aren’t sure about what we do yet. It’s something to hook them in and let them wander around and get introduced to us. I’m willing to do whatever I have to, to propel my longevity. Except take my clothes off. I’m not doing that. Truthfully, I’m a hard person to pin down. My cycle of hot-versus-not, image-versus-the rest-of-it, that changes with each show.

Q: Well, hot or not, you’ll be one of very few women who plays this Jam.

A: I love being in the jam band community, but I don’t want to be a jam band. I could go without hearing words like “groove collective” ever again. Our album (“This Is Somewhere,” 2007) gave us a chance to put out a sticky sound made of songs not long jams. I want to do more of that. Of course, if James Brown doesn’t say it — it doesn’t matter anyway.

Amy Jones writes for take5.

Citation

No comments: